- Within the 5 days from Election Day, November 3, the conservative social media platform Parler was downloaded almost 1 million occasions.
- Outstanding Republicans have inspired individuals to make use of Parler as an alternative of Twitter and Fb.
- On November 8, Parler took the primary spot without cost iPhone apps on the US App Retailer — the next day, it ranked primary on Google Play for the primary time ever.
- Downloads of the app rocketed simply as Fb and Twitter cracked down on election misinformation, together with the “Cease the Steal” marketing campaign baselessly claiming voter fraud. A hashtag for the marketing campaign has 15,000 mentions on Parler.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Conservative social media website Parler, touted by distinguished Republicans as a “freer” different to Fb and Twitter, was downloaded almost 1 million occasions within the 5 days after Election Day.
Parler, just like social networks like Gab and MeWe, advertises itself as a platform without cost speech, the place customers can submit “with out worry of being ‘deplatformed’ in your views.”
The social media app has emerged as a central hub for Republican officials, conservative pundits, and Trump supporters protesting election outcomes.
Downloads have surged simply as Twitter and Fb have tried to crack down on election misinformation.
Fb, for instance, has eliminated groups promoting the “Stop the Steal” campaign, which makes baseless allegations of voter fraud.
Now, the #StoptheSteal hashtag has greater than 15,000 “parleys,” or mentions, on Parler.
Within the US, Parler was downloaded 980,000 occasions on the Google Play Retailer and iOS App Retailer in complete between November 3 and November 8, in keeping with knowledge from SensorTower.
Craig Chapple, Sensor Tower’s cellular insights strategist, advised Enterprise Insider that greater than half of these downloads — 636,000 — occurred on November 8 alone, the day after a number of main retailers referred to as the election in favor of President-elect Joe Biden.
This determine is greater than 5 occasions its earlier best-ever day, when Parler had 119,000 installs on June 26, he added.
Chapple mentioned Parler has hit round 3.6 million downloads within the US to this point.
On November 8, Parler took the primary spot on the highest free iPhone apps on the US App Retailer — its highest rank ever — rising 1,022 locations since November 2, Sensor Tower knowledge reveals.
The next day, it ranked primary on Google Play for the primary time ever. For comparability, it was at quantity 486 for downloads on November 2.
Twitter labeled a number of tweets from President Donald Trump as “deceptive” after Election Day, together with false claims that he gained the election, and claims, with out proof, of voter fraud.
Fb started actively demoting false election posts on November 6.
In a press release, Parler’s COO Jeffrey Wernick mentioned that each Fb and Twitter have misplaced person belief. “Parler is a breath of contemporary air for these weary and cautious of the best way they have been handled by our opponents,” he mentioned.
Wernick mentioned Parler’s progress is a results of Parler’s efforts “to earn our neighborhood’s belief, each by defending their privateness, and being clear about the best way wherein their content material is dealt with on our platform.”